Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Review: Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette

HELLO LOVELIES! Agh, that's such a beauty blogger cliche word to use, isn't it? Well anyway, I'm super excited because I got something I've been wanting for a while from Sephora yesterday - the Naked 2 Palette!! I know, I know, it's definitely a hype thing, but I just love this thing to bits and okay I'm just gonna tell you about it now.

The palette comes in standard Urban Decay fashion, encased in a plastic box. The box itself houses a pretty hefty piece of cardboard with a space for the palette and a mini Lip Junkie in the color Naked. (I will not be reviewing the Lip Junkie to my knowledge, seeing as I think I may be allergic to it the way it made my lips feel... Burning, menthol hell, I tell ya.)


On the back is a picture of each color in the palette in order, as well as both sides of the double-sided brush, which I lalalove.



The palette comes in a plastic container with a metallic/tin finish on the outside. I like this a lot because it's easier to keep clean compared to the Naked 1's velvet case.


The mirror is absolutely huge. It also stays open fairly well. The palette is compact enough to fit in my purse, which I consider rather small. This palette is almost a complete kit due to the double ended brush (if it wasn't for mascara, and eyeliner, and oooh lipstick, and...) which is almost one of my favorite parts of the palette. The brush appears similar to the one that comes with the Vice Palette, but is a little denser. It's soft and dense on both sides. The left side packs on the eyeshadow well. Unlike traditional blending brushes, the other side is a bit thicker, so you can apply while blending as well.


Here's the colors up close. The names are a bit blurry, but from left to right, the colors are Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol, Verve, Busted, and Blackout. These are 12 full-sized eyeshadows that all cost $18 alone. 5 of them are new shades. Not every color comes individually.

Swatch time!
(all over bare skin in natural light)

L-R: Foxy, Half Baked, Bootycall, Chopper, Tease, Snakebite, Suspect, Pistol

Foxy is described as "cream bisque matte." This is accurate. It's a cream/off-white that has a yellow undertone to it. It makes a great highlighter, especially on darker tans with yellows to them.

Half Baked is described as "golden bronze with shimmering finish." It's one of the prettiest shades in the palette in my opinion. Very shimmery and shiny. This color was also in the Naked 1. It's got a bit of a coppery tone to it, but nothing like Chopper. It definitely is largely gold-based. Bronze is probably a better description of the copper tones.

Bootycall is described as "shimmering cork."  This is also a great highlight, especially for the inner corner of your eye. It's a bit more iridescent than Foxy with cooler tones to it. Lightly shimmery, but definitely not matte. The sparkle really pops over another shadow.

Chopper is described as "copper shimmer with silver micro-glitter." And micro-glitter indeed! Nothing as bad as Maui Wowie or Uzi - more similar to the texture of Oil Slick. This shade is definitely a true coppery penny-colored shade. The glitter makes the color prone to a bit of fallout, but it's still not as bad as the more glittery shades UD makes.

Tease is described as "creamy pale brown with matte finish." This is the third matte of the palette. Tested next to each other, this is almost an exact dupe for MAC's Quarry. It doesn't swatch well, but it definitely goes on a lot nicer and more opaque on the lid. The creaminess of the color is definitely apparent. It's a nice in-between blending shade.

Snakebite is described as "dark bronze shimmer with metallic base." The bronzey tones in this color mix well with the brown. I really like this color - it's a good shade for the crease, and blends like a dream. Super smooth and shimmery. Not a color I see a lot.

Suspect is described as "pale golden beige with shimmering finish." This looks a tad darker in pan, but it's a nice color, just a tad deeper than a champagne shade. Very shimmery and great if you want just a small bit of definition in the crease on lazy days.

Pistol
 is described as "light gray-brown with shimmering finish." This was my disappointment of the palette. I feel like all the swatches I saw of it involve vigorous swatching with lots and lots of layers upon layers. I don't see myself using this color very often unless it's over another. This shade has almost no pigmentation to speak of. It's a much lighter, more brown-based version of the Naked 1's Gunmetal in my eyes. Nice color, bad execution. 1 bad egg out of a dozen, though? Not bad.

L-R: Verve, YDK, Busted, Blackout

Verve is described as "oyster with shimmering finish." It's kind of like UD's Sin, but with more of a silver tone to it. I find this to be a more flattering color on me, though neither is bad, because of the fact that it's a bit cooler. Very shimmery, one of the most beautiful colors of the palette.

YDK is described as "cool bronze shimmer with a metallic base." I got this color in another UD palette, and it's gotten a lot of use from me. I'm happy to have another one and I definitely feel I'll use both of them up eventually. The cooler tones make it a lot more flattering on more people. This picture doesn't really do it justice and makes it look a little more like Half Baked, but it's very much cool.

Busted is described as "deep brown with shimmering finish." This is my starrr! This is my favorite color in the palette, I think. It's a really deep dark chocolatey brown (deeper than this picture!) that goes on like heaven and perfectly finishes your look in the crease, no matter how dark or light you want it.

Blackout is described as "blackest black with matte finish." This is the third and final matte of the palette. This picture does not do its darkness justice! The shade is an even truer matte than Sugarpill's Bulletproof, but both are great. The only issue is Bulletproof is a little more smooth, while Blackout can be chalkier. This can be remedied with a softer blending brush for application, but it swatches very chalky, which is emphasized by the super dark color.

Roundup time!
(all ratings are out of 5)

Staying Power: ♫♫♫♫♫
Most of Urban Decay's standard eyeshadows stay on for what feels like forever.

Value: ♫♫♫♫♫
$216 worth of eyeshadows, $50 worth of brushes, and $6.14 worth of lip gloss total out to $272.14, not even including the excellent packaging and huge mirror.  A small, purse-sized Sephora mirror I almost bought yesterday was $15 alone! $50 might seem like an investment for a palette, but it's so, so worth it.

Quality: ♫♫♫♫1/2
Urban Decay has my favorite eyeshadow formulation ever. They're amazing. These are my first mattes, too, and I'm not disappointed at all. The half-note is just for fallout.

Color: ♫♫♫♫♫
Great range of colors for all situations.

Would I buy it again?: Resisting buying the other Naked Palettes as we speak!

You can purchase this palette at Sephora or on their website, as well as Urban Decay's website!

I'll be posting my look from this palette in just a bit. Love you guys as much as this palette!!
-<3 Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment