Saturday, April 13, 2013

Review: NYX Gel Liner & Smudger in Betty

Hola! Today I bring you a fairly unreviewed product as far as the internet goes and the fruit of a recent Ulta haul, NYX's Gel Liner & Smudger in Betty!


It comes in a small box, which is nice, considering most NYX products aren't packaged in anything special. There's a photo of how to use the product on the sides of the box.


As most gel liners do, it comes in a glass jar with a plastic top. (I've always wondered if that helped preserve it or if it was for looks...)  It's pretty solid. The jar is a bit small, but I'm alright with it.


This is the jar without its top. As you can see due to my odd fingerprint, it's a bit hard to stick my finger in without getting the nail. Small, but, again, I don't really mind it. Looks like about .5g, the size of my Starry liner.

Swatch time!

L-R: NYX Gel Liner using Real Techniques Fine Liner brush, NYX Gel Liner swatched with finger

(excuse the remnants of the NYX Crystal Liner in the middle!)

NYX describes this liner with the following sentence: "NYX Gel Liner & Smudger is a matte gel pigment that creates intense, attention-grabbing liner and shadow looks." This liner is super creamy, but it dried quickly enough for my standards. It does not tug at all and is very smooth on the skin. Matte as can be and very opaque. The only issue is the "smudger" claim. NYX wants you to use this as a "smudger", or eyeshadow base, which I could see being an issue, because it blends out just a little too much. However, you could definitely layer up as needed. As for a liner, it's nice. Not to mention, it's incredibly long-wearing. The only flaw really is that when you wash it off it goes EVERYWHERE, which can be hard to deal with. (Moreso for me, because when I'm taking off my makeup, I'm usually half asleep and worn out.)

Roundup time!
(all ratings are out of 5)

Staying Power: ♫♫♫♫♫
Stained my wrist after swatching for a very long time. When I wore it out, it gave me a good 8 hours of wear over a primer.

Value: ♫♫♫
.5g/.16 oz of product for $8 feels a little steep to me. In comparison, MAC's gel liners are 3g/0.1 oz for $16. That's 6 times the amount of product for just double the price, which I don't think is a bad comparison. However, I got this on sale for $4.79.

Quality: ♫♫♫♫
Feels smoother than the average drugstore liner. However, it flakes when you wipe it off.

Pigmentation: ♫♫♫♫♫
Opaque, dark, and super black in 1-2 swipes!

Would I buy it again?: Kind of want to buy the teal (Danielle) and blue (Samantha) colors if the sale lasts long enough...


And that's all, folks! You can pick up this liner on NYX's website or Ulta's. Ulta is currently having a sale on all NYX products, so I definitely suggest going there!

Enjoy!
-<3 Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment