Monday, September 2, 2013

Review: Too Faced Smokey Eye Shadow Collection

Just a quick note; do you have a preferred spelling for smoky? I prefer smoky. The extra "e" annoys me quite a bit. But this palette is beautiful. I'll ignore it.

This is the first big purchase I've made from the Ulta down the street from my work. It just opened. I've been there endless times. Help.

My first visit happened to be when I was looking for the ultimate all-in-one smoky palette. Sorry, UD Smoked palette, this is what you lost out to...


The box is relatively compact, with a... Well, a smoky eye on the cover! It's a magnetized closure that you pull up with a little ribbon.


My mother also got this (and returned it; not really the makeup lover like I am) and was annoyed with the large highlight shade pans. I agree, but it's not a biggie for me. I interchange White Lie with Urban Decay's Virgin daily, and I use the other two as lid colors anyway, so it's cool.

Swatches!

(As you'll begin to notice, these colors are much stronger over Shadow Insurance, but I wanted to show them on their own. I may edit in primed swatches.)


Firefly is described as a "silvery taupe." I don't know, it just makes me happy cause it makes me think of Baby Firefly.  I use this as a lid shade usually w/ Cloves and Up In Smoke and it's lovely. More of a beigey color than taupe. This is the only color you can get outside of the palette.

White Lie is described as "sugar white." This is the most pigmented pearlescent white shade I've ever owned. It's so shimmery and just looks gorgeous in the inner corners of the eyes. Pure, sparkly white.

In a Flash is described as "silver shimmer." I somewhat disagree. I think it leans towards a metallic baby blue. It's silvery, but definitely is overpowered with blue tones.


Cloves is described as "bronzey brown." It's a nice mid-tone brown, and goes well with Firefly and Up In Smoke.

Up In Smoke is described as "black brown." This is one of 3 matte shades in the palette, which I just realized are the right column... Dur. It's a great brown for darkening up the crease.

Nice Ash is described as "charcoal." It's kind of out of focus here and doesn't look all that great, but it's a beautiful, shimmery charcoal gray.


Smokin' Hot is described as "matte black" and is exactly that. It's a great black, but you have to be extremely careful with it (I tap my brush in it delicately to use it) because it's a super dark black. I love it!

Smoking Jacket is described as "black plum." This is one of the prettiest shades in the palette, with a blackened purple tone and a hell of a lot of shimmer. This is probably one of my favorites; it looks lovely with almost any of the other colors.

Smolder is described as "matte navy" and, again, is exactly that. It's a good darkener, but on its own doesn't look very pigmented. However, I'd never use it on its own, so it performs the purpose I want out of it well! Also, holla at my 5000th arm birthmark.

Pros:
-Versatile colors
-Lots of different looks
-Variety of matte & shimmery shades

Cons:
-Most colors are shimmery (I don't mind)
-Some shades can be hard to work with due to extreme pigmentation (I love that though!)

Roundup time!
(all ratings are out of 5)

Staying Power: ♫♫♫♫♫
This is, again, probably the fault of the Shadow Insurance, but it's still rad.

Value: ♫♫♫♫♫
An individual 1.7 g Too Faced Exotic Color eyeshadow is $18.  The highlights are 2g and the smaller shadows are 0.9g each.  This contains about the amount of 5 individual eyeshadows for the cost of only two. Incredible.

Quality: ♫♫♫♫1/2
The mattes can chalk up a bit, but this makes it harder to over-darken your eyes.

Pigmentation: ♫♫♫♫♫
Self-explanatory.

Would I buy it again?: May or may not be prowling the Vintage Sale as we speak...

Speaking of which, check out the Vintage Sale on their website! Plenty of great things are on sale, including lipsticks, eyeshadow palettes, and more! You can also pick up this palette there for $36, as well as on Sephora and Ulta!

Until next time!

-<3 Angie

No comments:

Post a Comment